Despite societal pressure to be happy at this time of year, Christmas can be an extremely stressful and anxious time for some of us. It might be the first Christmas without a loved one, a forced reunion with a number of people you really don't get along with, or possibly just an additional financial stress-er on top of so many others. If this is the case, we are here to help if we can.
- Remember Christmas and New Year are days, not weeks or months, don’t go over board.
- Have fun, but don't let health go out the window - you just end of up further behind the starting line on that New Year's resolution to lose weight.
- One standard drink is 10 g of alcohol. This is only 285 mL of full strength beer, 100 mL of wine or 30 mL of spirits. This means a small bottle of beer or a glass of wine contain 1.5 - 2.0 standard drinks.
Remember don’t drink & drive!
- The Australian Guidelines recommend no more than on average 2 SD per day for men and women, and no more than 4 SD on any one occasion.
- There is increasing evidence of potential harm for developing brains – the recommendation is delaying alcohol intake as late as possible at least until age 18.
- For pregnant women there is no safe level of alcohol.
Be Sun Smart
- Despite the cool start to summer, it is important to remember sun protection.
- Slip (on a shirt), slop (on screen screen), slap (on a hat) has been around since the 1980s, and remains the cornerstone of skin cancer prevention in Australia.
- More recently seek (shade) and slide (on sunglasses) have been added. For more information go to www.sunsmart.com.au
- We recommend regular skin checks with one of our Skin Alive Clinic doctors but always remember that prevention is far better than cure.
Above all, we wish you a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!