Skip to main content

Some issues are too big to deal with on your own – and the good news is that you don’t have to.

If your family needs support for anxiety, depression or other mental health conditions, a range of health professionals are available to help. Many health professionals treat people of all ages, while some services specialise in supporting children and young people. Your health professional can help you find the right combination of treatments that’s right for you and your family.

The most important thing is to talk to a health professional about getting the right mix of treatments for you. 

Finding a health professional 

Your GP is often a good starting point when someone in your family needs help, especially if you’re not quite sure what’s going on. A GP can talk about what’s happening and the options for treatment and support. Depending on the situation, the GP might provide ongoing care or suggest that another mental health professional or support service get involved.

Mental health professionals can be accessed through your GP, community health centre, public mental health services, headspace centres and private health clinics.

You can also get advice from an LGBTI service such as QLife or find an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation through state and territory organisations

Transcultural mental health centres, migrant resource centres and ethnic community councils can also offer support for young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds.

Types of treatment

Mental health conditions can be treated effectively, and just like physical conditions, they can be managed. It’s important to seek support for yourself or your family as early as you can, as mental health conditions generally don’t go away on their own.

 Most people with anxiety or depression benefit from one or a combination of the following:

Getting help – how much does it cost?

Many mental health services are either free or paid for partly by the government under Medicare.

To receive free services under Medicare for anxiety and depression, you'll need a Mental Health Treatment Plan from a doctor. A Mental Health Treatment Plan outlines what treatment is required and why, the number of sessions available, and who you can see for ongoing care.

When contacting a health professional, it’s important to confirm what is covered by Medicare – what services and how many sessions. Some services may charge fees on top of the Medicare benefit but may offer a discount for health care card holders or for those with special circumstances. Some services are also covered by private health insurance.

By discussing fees when you first contact the heath professional, you can be clear on the costs involved.


1300 22 4636

Email or chat to us online at

Learn more about anxiety, depression and suicide prevention, or talk through your concerns with our Support Service. Our trained mental health professionals will listen, provide information and advice, and point you in the right direction so you can seek further support.


13 11 14

A free online, phone and face-to-face crisis support and suicide prevention service, providing counselling, information and referral. 13 11 14 is a confidential telephone crisis support service available 24/7 from a landline, payphone or mobile.

Suicide Call Back Service

1300 659 467

A free nationwide professional telephone and online counselling service for anyone affected by suicide.


1800 184 527

A phone and webchat service managed by and for lesbian, gay, bi, trans and intersex communities. This service provides a place to talk about mental health, negotiating the medical system, relationships, isolation, coming out, people making assumptions about a persons’ gender and a whole host of other concerns.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander services

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can also contact their local Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation or Aboriginal Health Worker at their local health service. Find more information at

ReachOut Parents

An online service to help parents help their teenagers. As well as fact sheets, practical tips and stories, ReachOut Parents has an online community forum where parents can talk to other parents about experiences and work through concerns.

Raising Children Network

An online resource for Australian parents, taking you from pregnancy to newborns to teenagers. Raising Children Network offers evidence-based content on hundreds of topics about raising children and looking after yourself as a parent.

Relationships Australia

Provides relationship support services for individuals, families and communities. 


KidsMatter is a mental health and well-being initiative set in primary schools and early childhood education and care services, and includes resources to support families.


A confidential telephone counselling service providing professional counselling and support for parents and those who care for children. Parentline aims to nurture and support positive, caring relationships between parents, children, teenagers and significant other people who are important to the wellbeing of families.

Parent Helpline SA

1300 364 100 (cost of a local call)

24 hours a day, seven days a week

With thanks to our new partners

Windsor Village Medical Centre logo
Oakden Medical Centre logo